Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Girl with Many Names

My daughter has many names:

Ellie Bear
Bear-Bear
Bear
The Chunky Chicken
Chunky Love
Turkey Bear
Chunky Chicken Tuna of the Sea

Halloween 2010



She even occasionally responds to Ellie.

Halloween 2011



However, she will not respond to Downs child, Downsie, or Down syndrome child.  One of the many things that I have learned since having a child with special needs is how simple wording can increase or diminish respect.  A child with Down syndrome puts the child first.  Ellie is a little girl with a spunky personality who also happens to have Down syndrome.  Down syndrome child focuses on the syndrome.  It sounds a bit odd to say asthma child, high cholesterol child, or glasses child and Down syndrome is the same way.  People First Language is a sign of respect.

A child with Down syndrome = Ellie and others with 3 copies of the 21st chromosome

Down syndrome child = genetic condition


*This marks then end of the 31 for 21blog hop that occurs during the entire month of October to bring about Down syndrome awareness*

Happy Halloween everyone!!!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...