Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Team Up for Down Syndrome













I have been told that children with Down Syndrome are often delayed and that they will do every thing on their own time table.  Some of that is correct.  Bear-Bear does have her own time-table.  It is called "I want it now!". 


Ellie Bear is rolling over!  Can you believe it?!  Ellie wants to roll all. the. time.  Rolling on the changing table, rolling in the play-yard, rolling on the floor.  Her crib is apparently a gymnasium.  She also thinks that she can roll during feedings and while in the bouncy chair.  


Little Bear may be hanging out as calm as can be and then "WAH!".  Apparently we are supposed to be mind readers.  She wants her bottle and she wanted it 5 minutes ago.  As we put the bib on her she calms and becomes excited.  Big happy face!  She pants and reaches out for the bottle.  If the bottle is not there we get another "WAH!".  Oh and the burping.  We must not unplug the bottle from Ellie or we get another "WAH!".  


Oh yes, things are most definitely on her own little time table.

The Creed of Babies with Down Syndrome

My face may be different
But my feelings are the same



I laugh and I cry
And I take pride in my gains



I was sent here among you
To teach you to love



As God in the heavens
Looks down from above



To Him I'm no different
His love knows no bounds



It's those here among you
In cities and towns



That judge me by standards
That man has imparted



But this family I've chosen
Will help me get started



For I'm one of the children
So special and few



That came here to learn
The same lessons as you



That love is acceptance
It must come from the heart



We all have the same purpose
Though not the same start



The lord gave me life
To live and embrace


And I'll do it as you do
But at my own pace



The poem above is courtesy of Team Up for Down Syndrome at
http://www.teamupfordownsyndrome.org

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Ellie! Awa Grandma and Grandpa are pleased to see that it is payback time for mommy.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...