Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fun with Grandma




In nursing school I was required to take all of these classes that involve child development, Freud, and Paget and whatnot.  Developmentally, an infant is to form a strong bond in the 1st few months of life with Mommy.  Around 6 months of age or so, the infant will begin to have separation anxiety.  This is both normal and frustrating.  On one hand it shows that you did your job as a parent in developing that strong bond.  On the other hand, it means that your little darling can be very unhappy when you are not around.

My mother aka Awa Grandma has been visiting from St. Louis.  Apparently, Grandma is a stranger.  Ellie would just stare and stare with her mouth gaping open.  She would then look for either me or Andrew and then look back at Awa Grandma.  After being here for a few days, Ellie now considers Awa Grandma "familiar".  

Children are like sponges.  Even though Ellie cannot talk yet, I am very curious to know just what is going on in her little head.  Some things amaze me.  For instance, my mother was holding Ellie and she asked "where's mama?".  Ellie started to look for me and then we locked gazes.  Then I was bad and asked "Where's Daddy?" (he was not in the room) and she started to look around for Andrew.  So see, even though the Bear cannot say "Mama" or "Dada" yet, she does understand who we are.  It will be interesting to see if Ellie Bellie looks for Awa Grandma after she returns home to the Show-Me State.

1 comment:

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...