Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Big Girl Room Transition

Baby Bear is well, no longer a baby.  In fact, Toddler Bear isn't even accurate anymore.  A full school year has passed and I think it is time I get used to having a Pre-school Bear.  *sniff sniff*

Her school pic from this year.


The time has come for Ellie's room to become more of a sanctuary that compliments her status as a "big girl".  It is long over due seeing as the crib had been dissembled and donated over a year ago due to Ellie's little Cirque-du-Soleil escapades.




Sometimes, I think that these transitions, as small as they may seem, are more difficult for this mama bear than for Ellie.

I recall clutching that pregnancy test in a 24-Hour Fitness bathroom stall when those life changing two lines appeared.  Pregnant!  After months upon months of trying.  I so much wanted Andrew to be involved in preparing for Baby Bear's arrival that I allowed him to choose the nursery decor.  My manly (and sexy!) husband chose dogs.  A red and blue theme with puppies frolicking about.  The prediction that Ellie would grow to love dogs as much as Andrew (and me!) came true.  I am certain that her dog-obsession resulted from our Sophie Princess Puppy Paws forcing herself into Ellie's personal space as opposed to the decor of her nursery.

This is how you sleep on a big girl bed.


alternative sleeping arrangements


The crib is gone and a lone, twin-sized mattress rests on the floor for her room, without its box spring or frame. . . a place where Ellie occasionally deigns to sleep (vs. the floor).  The walls are dingy from little fingers and the pictures appear to be hung upon the walls haphazardly since we had to rearrange the room to accommodate the mattress.

Tomorrow, we are going to start painting "The Big Girl Room".  The last remnants of the nursery brushed away.  It is bittersweet for me.  My baby is now "big girl".  Yet, she is not such a big girl that her room is going to be plastered with Justin Bieber posters.  No, they will be plastered with cupcake pictures.

That's right, folks.  Cupcakes.

I mean, really, are you surprised?


A sneak peek of things to come!  This Mama Bear has gone crafty!




*April and Linda, I promise that I have not forgotten about the Liebster!  Still working on it.
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. My girls would love a cupcake themed bedroom. I can't wait to see the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall keep you posted! There is sewing involved. . . not as lovely and professional looking as yours, but I am trying!

      Delete
  2. I so know how you feel about this transition! I personally would love a room dedicated to cupcakes.......I would never leave! :)

    We just sold Owen's combo changing table/dresser (IKEA of course!) this weekend and I really did feel like a little part of me left with it. I remember spending countless hours with Owen on that table after baths and diaper changes and putting his little clothes away in the drawers. Last summer I painted his bedroom a neutral tan color and dressed up the walls with peel and stick Sesame Street characters (the biggest hit ever!) as well as a couple of Sesame Street posters. It'll be sad in a few years when I have to change it again. This growing up thing can just slow down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our babies!!!! Sniff sniff sniff. You should have seen me when we took the crib down? I cried and cried. It was that last symbol of baby-hood--just like Owen's changing table/dresser.

      Delete
  3. Just love the school pic! So pretty! Can't wait to see how her big girl room turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, girl! I was so happy to see your post the other day. Got worried about you since you hadn't blogged in so long.

      Delete
  4. WHAT!!! Someone has already nominated you for a Liebster?? I was gonna nomiate you....I have just had a bit of trouble finding bloggers that I read that have less then 200 followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl. . . I say screw the whole 200 followers and nominate who you want! Thank you for thinking of me :-)

      Delete
    2. oh, girl, you are sooooo nominated!!! I don't care who else has nominated you...I am nominating you! LOL. Your blog rocks my world

      Delete

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...