Tuesday, March 21, 2017

World Down Syndrome Day 2017: what to say


I struggle with this post, mainly because I have no idea what to write.  I feel like I have said everything in previous years' posts.  When Ellie was younger, Down syndrome was all I could think about.  All I could worry about.  Today, it isn't in the forefront of my mind.  It is just an after thought of "oh yeah, she has an extra chromosome.  She has Down syndrome".  Ds is sort of in the back of my mind when I think about her developmental delay (mainly lack of speech) and her future as an adult who will want to be as independent as possible, but that is it.  Her non-Ds related health issues and her naughty behaviors are what take up most of my worries.  Down syndrome isn't as scary as I thought it was years ago.  It isn't the end of the world.  It isn't all consuming.  It just is. Ellie is doing everything that a typical kid would do, but at a younger developmental age.  She is progressing (well aside from potty training and social behavior). She is just like any other other kid.  So to all your new parents, do not be afraid.  Your child is a unique being who will bring great job to your lives.  The Down syndrome is just a small, non-scary part of them.  Ds does not define who your child is.





Previous WDSD posts:

World Down Syndrome Day: a celebration 2015

World Down Syndrome Day: Ellie Video 2014

World Down Syndrome Day: an equal opportunity gene 2013

World Down Syndrome Day 3:21 2012

3.21 World Down Syndrome Day 2011





 photo IMG_2291_zpsudykfi0h.jpg

Follow us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Chronicles-of-Ellie-Bellie-Bear/216738345037166

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...