Monday, December 15, 2014

PiYo: A Review of the 60 Day-Program

On September 15th, I restarted the PiYo Beachbody Workout program plus Shakeology after quitting after just a few days in July due to a hamstring injury (this was related to a fall and not to working out.

A few weeks ago, I completed the 60-day program plus Shakeology.  Here are my thoughts on the program as well as my results.




WHAT IS PIYO

Piyo is a fusion of pilates and yoga.  You move through the poses quickly to achieve a great cardio workout while using your own body weight to build strength.  As seen with yoga, you will also improve your flexibility and your balance.

A PiYo Challenge Pack includes:

  • 9 different workouts - these workouts range are typically 20-30 minutes long
  • A meal guide with recipes
  • 30-day supply of Shakeology-vegan and regular flavors, a nutrient dense meal
  • Access to a small Challenge group on Facebook that includes support, health tips, recipes, and accountability

What you will need: enough space to take a large step to each side-about the length of a coffee table.  A yoga mat is optional, but I prefer to use a super think 3/4-inch non-skid mat that I bought off Amazon.



WHAT FITNESS LEVEL

I know that some of these moves look difficult, but do not think that PiYo isn't for you!  When I started, I was a bit intimidated until I watched the introductory workout.  Chalene Johnson, the instructor goes through each movement teaching correct alignment.

Truth: I am only able to do the PiYo Flip on this side only.


PiYo is ideal for any age group and for any fitness level.  I have customers in their 60s.  I have people who have never workout before and people who have been killing it with Insanity and P90X. If you have never done yoga or pilates, that is okay.  There are modifiers that you can follow until you can move on to the regular and even more advanced moves.

Prior to PiYo, I could barely hold an unmodified version of side plank.

PiYo is also great for people who already practice yoga and pilates.  Chalene Johnson demonstrates how to make the movements more advanced.  Remember that this is a fusion of the two and you will get a very different workout than if you did yoga or pilates alone.

You work all major muscle groups with this one move. 

Joint Injuries and Arthritits
I was really worried about my ability to do this program, but I needed something that was low impact for my arthritis.  As many of you know, I have two herniated discs in my lumbar spine, spinal and hip arthritis, and sciatica.  I have tried several treatments and believe it or not, each of my doctors recommend core strengthening exercises.  PiYo will indeed give you super strong abs of steel!

With the arthritis, I made sure to modify some of the poses to prevent hyperextension of my back.  A few of the modifications that I make are shown below.



As will all of my workout programs, I drink my all-natural Shakeology for breakfast or for a post-workout meal.  Occasionally, I'll have a second one for dessert because it is that good and I have lots of late-night comfort eating issues.  Knowing that I am feeding my body with essential vitamins and minerals, Omega 3 fatty-acids, phytonutrients, proteins, fats, and complex carbs contributes to my ability to workout each day.

I love all of the different recipes for Shakeology.
It is like having a different breakfast every morning:
Thin Mint, Chunky Monkey, Mocha Dream, Salted-Caramel, Chocolate-Covered Strawberries. ..


MY RESULTS

I lost 5.5 lbs bringing my 7-month weight loss to a total of 26 lb. I also lost a total of 5.5 inches (my body seems to like the number 5.5) from a combination of my chest, waist, hips, arms, and legs.


My arms, abs, upper back, and legs are now very strong and toned!  I really started to see muscle definition around week 2 and continued to firm up throughout the whole program.

My endurance, strength and flexibility are better than when I was a dancer during high school.  I never ever thought I would get that flexibility back.

Joint pain: this is amazing!  Of all the things that I had tried--steroid shots, physical therapy, ice/heat, medication, and TENS unit, the one thing that has helped my back and hip the most was/is PiYo.  The Lower Fix and Sweat are my go-to workouts now when my back is bad.  It is amazing how all of that medical intervention couldn't bring me what PiYo could!

Hamstring Injury:  My hamstring had slightly atrophied from the injury and my strength was shot.  My flexibility, nonexistent.  After the 60-day PiYo program, my hamstring is much stronger and I have gotten some of my flexibility back.  I don't think I will even have full range of motion back, but I did get most of it!

So many ways to stretch, sculpt, and build leg and butt muscles

MY OPINION

If you are looking for something that is high impact like Insanity or T25, this is not it.  This is low-impact.  It is about as low impact as you can get.  Some of the workouts seem to be more strength and flexibility oriented than cardio.  I would say that of the 9 workouts, about 4 of them are cardio which was something I didn't really expect.  All of the workouts get your heart rate up, but those 4 are truly, full on, cardio.

Working on those abs of steel!

Since I had done yoga before, I thought that the Lower Define was easy.  The rest were challenging so don't be fooled by that Lower Define!  As I was doing Upper Define and Sweat, I thought they weren't too hard, until the next day.  You do use muscles that you never thought you had and those muscles will be toned.


You will only get out of it what you put into.  In any workout program, you have to push yourself!  That also includes keeping your eating in check which is why I like the meal guide that comes with the PiYo and of course my Shakeology.  You do need to do your workouts 4-6 x a week (the program guide calls for 6 days a week, but I like to take more rest days) to really get the results.


Even my daughter enjoys PiYo.
Every morning she rolls out the mat and practices
her own version of the moves.




WHERE YOU CAN LEARN MORE

To learn more about PiYo or any other Beachbody workout program or if are interested in a FREE coach who will help you develop goals and work through your struggles, you can contact me at:

annatheurer@beachbodycoach.com

To learn more about my monthly fitness challenges, the free accountability group, health tips, and meal and Shakeology recipes, visit Anna Theurer Fitness & Well-Being Facebook page.

To read my thoughts on Shakeology, check out my Shakeology Review blog post or contact me at the email address above to learn more or get the ingredient list.
(pssst, did you know that Ellie likes her chocolate shakeology with peanut butter and bananas?)

Check out my coaching buddy, Sonomi!  

My next Challenge Group will start just after the New Year on January 5, 2015.  A perfect beginning to the New Year and a perfect way to knock out those New Year's resolutions!  If interested, be sure to contact me so that I can answer your questions and get you all set up for the Challenge as with the delayed mail due to the Holidays, you will want to order soon to get your program in time.
Photobucket
Want to see more of Ellie and the Theurer clan?
http://www.facebook.com/annatheurerfitness
http://www.beachbodycoach.com/annatheurer
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Chronicles-of-Ellie-Bellie-Bear/216738345037166

17 comments:

  1. Ouch! I am so sorry to hear about your wrist. That has got to be so frustrating! So tell me, can you predict the weather? I sprained my wrist when I was younger and I can predict rain :-P

    As much as I would like to tell you that you can do PiYo, even with the modifications, I don't think your wrist could handle it. There are a lot of planks, down-dog, and various types of push-ups. Even with the modifiers, you are still putting weight on your hands and wrists. If you are interested, there are other beachbody fitness programs that I believe would work for you-i.e. 21 Day Fix, P90

    btw, you are more than welcome to shoot me a friend request on FB (Anna Bruns Theurer). You are always leaving such thoughtful comments and I would love to get to know you better! :-)

    ReplyDelete

  2. Advanced tips to lose inches from your waist

    I spend a lot of time in airports, including 4 hours Sunday in
    St. Louis. But I always look on the positive side and try to get as
    much magazine reading or article writing done as possible.

    Heck, I even wrote this email to you from Gate A18 while waiting for
    my flight and watching the Patriots-Colts game.

    This reminds me of a time about a year ago when I was stuck in the
    Newark Airport, and I was reading a copy of Men's Fitness that
    contained the legendary TT success story of the Kuhn Triplets (you
    can see the fat loss story on my site at
    http://www.TurbulenceTraining.com).

    Here's some of the tips we used in our plan to help the 3 brothers
    lose that last 5 pounds of fat in the last 10 days of the
    transformation.

    NOTE: These advanced tips were only used for 10-14 days. That's the
    maximum time for this advanced plan.

    1) Start your day with water and fiber. I truly believe drinking
    12 cups of water over the course of the day helps you stay alert and
    stops you from feeling too hungry. As for the fiber, you can get it
    from fruit or nuts. Research shows starting your day with fiber
    helps control your blood sugar until the afternoon.

    2) Eat 1 cup of raw vegetables prior to eating your regular lunch
    and dinner. This will help control your appetite.

    3) Eat only almonds, raw vegetables, & fruit between meals.

    4) Don't eat more than 40g of carbohydrates at any meal.

    5) Don't go to bed full. Eat only a small protein snack in the
    evening to control calorie intake.

    6) Drink 6 cups of green tea per day (3 in AM, 3 after lunch)

    Advanced Exercise Tips

    1) Add 10 seconds to each work interval.

    2) Add in some bodyweight circuits (10-20 minutes per day) done in
    the morning or evening.

    If you do your regular TT workout in the morning, then do your
    bodyweight circuits after dinner. Alternatively, do the bodyweight
    circuits first thing in the morning, and then do your regular
    workout at lunch or later in the afternoon or evening.

    3) Add one set to the first superset you do in each workout.

    Use these strict tips for no more than 2 weeks before returning to
    normal exercise guidelines and carbohydrate intake.

    Go here to get started: ===> Advanced tips to lose inches from your waist <=====

    Train hard but safe,

    CB

    PS - For maximum fat loss...

    If you have dumbbells, a bench, and a ball at home, you can lose
    fat in the comfort of your own home with Turbulence Training.

    "At the end of week one, I lost 3.5 pounds and I was feeling great.
    Yesterday was the end of week two and I lost 3 more pounds! Six and
    a half pounds in two weeks and I feel outstanding. Not the least
    bit tired or weak. I've never been so enthusiastic about each
    workout. I didn't bother to take a 'before' photo, but I may still
    do that. I would have touched base with you sooner, but with work,
    school, training, etc., I'm always pressed for time. And of course,
    that's what makes Turbulence Training such a convenient program."
    Chuck Fager

    Click here to get Turbulence Training: ===> Fast fat loss workouts... <=====

    "As a professional firefighter, personal fitness is very important
    to me. I found the Turbulence Training program to be an excellent
    way to keep my workouts fresh and high paced while achieving my
    desired results. I would recommend this program to anyone who is
    serious about losing weight and reaching their fitness goals."
    Chris Gaylor, Professional Firefighter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have read your article and it's so good I will share it with family and friends. I just informed the travelers who want to know about who can apply for a Turkey e-visa? which is easy to get through the online process. Travelers who wish to travel to Turkey can apply for it.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read each and every single one of them.

Cecostomy Tubes R Us

Here we are - two posts in 30 days! It's scandalous, I tell you!  Seriously though, I bet you all thought that I abandoned ship and woul...